I love writing and editing, but there are other ways I can help, too.
If you want a chance to talk through your communication quandaries, you might be interested in booking a Power Hour.
If you think you’d benefit from an outside perspective on your research pages, you might be interested in my Research Communications Health Check.
And if you know you need an extra pair of hands but don’t have a specific project in mind, take a look at my pre-paid blocks of hours – they’re a great way to get priority time in my diary at a reduced rate.
Perhaps you want a second opinion about your science communications, or maybe you don’t know where to start with a problem you’re facing and want to bounce some ideas around.
Book a phone or video call and we can mull over the issue and come up with some solutions together. Think of me as a friendly expert who can give you a second opinion and point you in the right direction. It’s a great way to get unstuck.
This is how it works.
- When you book your Power Hour, you’ll give me a few details about what you want to talk about so that I can come prepared.
- During our call we’ll take up to an hour to talk through your problem (and find a solution), sense check your ideas, or answer your questions.
- I’ll follow up after the call with any actions we’ve agreed, or with further resources that might help you.
- I can provide you with a recording of the call if you like.
Research Communications Health Check
If you know your research information pages aren’t in great shape but you’re not sure where to start, book in a Research Comms Health Check. I can take a look at a few key pages on your charity’s website to identify what’s good and what needs improvement, and make recommendations based on my experience.
Don’t be put off by thinking this is a deeply-involved, time-consuming or resource-intensive process. It’s not! Instead, it’s a light-touch content audit designed to help you get your research copy into tip-top condition.
Think of this as a second opinion from an outside professional to help you figure out how to get your pages back on track. Your health check will include:
- A short report (2-4 pages) that includes quick ideas of what I think is great and what could be improved.
- Honest feedback from me (I won’t go looking for problems if they’re not there) and tangible recommendations.
- Quick turnaround – I’ll aim to get the report to you within two weeks.
- A 30-minute follow-up call to discuss the report and the recommendations.
There’s no onerous preparation involved before the Health Check. I’ll just need you to point me towards a few key webpages, then we’ll book in a call to discuss the report I’ll produce.
And there’s no pressure or obligation to work with me after the Health Check to implement the recommendations. If we do decide to work together, I’ll deduct the cost of the Health Check from your project fee.
If you know you need some of my time, but aren’t exactly sure what that looks like yet, it might make sense for you to book my time in blocks of pre-paid hours.
You can use this time however you want, as long as the hours are used within a month of booking them. Your pre-paid hours will take priority over any other ad hoc client bookings during this time. And by booking a pre-paid block, you’ll get a discount on my hourly rate.
This is a great option if you need flexibility, have big projects coming up, or just need an extra pair of hands to cover a busy period or extended periods of staff leave.